Thursday, February 23, 2012

Case Study No. 0257: Jade Taylor (library assistant) and Bernice Stacell

Kathleen Frazier as Bernice Stacle - Scene 1 - 06/14/06
0:33
Kathleen Frazier as Mrs. Bernice Stacle, Oakdale Librarian - Scene 1 - As The World Turns - June 14, 2006
Tags: as the world turns
Added: 1 year ago
From: kathleenfrazier
Views: 59

[inside the Oakdale Public Library, a young female library assistant (Jade Taylor) is sitting at a desk filing cards, when the older female librarian (Bernice Stacell) approaches]
BERNICE: Jade ...
JADE: Oh, I've almost got those files re-ordered for you.
BERNICE: Thank you ... Listen, I just got a call from Mister Weber, the principal of Oakdale Latin.
JADE: [hesitates] Oh, about setting up a summer-school reading list?
BERNICE: He wanted to talk to me about this past semester. Apparently, one of the students there was caught cheating.
JADE: Oh, really? Well, what does that have to do with the library?
BERNICE: Mister Weber suspects that the student was aided and abetted by someone who works here ... would you know anything about that?
JADE: I don't even know how that could happen! I mean, how would one of us help somebody cheat? Why would we?
BERNICE: Jade, I know you're strapped for cash.
JADE: You think somebody paid me to? Miss Stacell, I never did anything like that, I swear.
BERNICE: Well, have you heard anything?
JADE: No, but ... Of course, this is a public library, and we do have computers here. So, if somebody wanted to do something without one of us knowing, I guess they could.
BERNICE: I suppose. It's just, I've seen you talking with the students quite a bit lately. I--
JADE: Well, it wasn't that long since I was in high school myself, and I guess they just feel comfortable talking to me ... I thought it was part of my job to try and help.
BERNICE: That ... it is. It's just--
JADE: Listen, I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears open and if I hear anything about anybody cheating, I will be the first to let you know.
BERNICE: Yes, you do that.
JADE: Okay.

[...]

[Jade is applying lipstick in the stacks]
BERNICE: [from off camera] Jade?
JADE: Oh, over here, Miss Stacell.
[she quickly hides the makeup in her bag and stashes it away, then pretends like she's reshelving books]
JADE: What's up?
BERNICE: I just spoke with Principal Weber over at Oakdale Latin.
JADE: Oh, did they ever find out about that person that helped that student buy the paper online?
BERNICE: As a matter of fact, yes. He knows the truth.
JADE: Oh.
BERNICE: And so do I. So why don't we stop this charade?
JADE: [looks confused] Charade?
BERNICE: We know it was you, Jade.
JADE: Whoever's pointing the finger at me is lying!
BERNICE: No one's pointing any fingers, Jade, they don't have to. The evidence speaks for itself.
JADE: Evidence?
BERNICE: You weren't as careful as you thought.
JADE: What're you talking about?
BERNICE: The young man who bought the paper used your employee access code to log onto the Web.
JADE: Well, that doesn't prove anything. Obviously, he got a hold of my code somehow, or somebody else did and used it to log on.
BERNICE: Shall we call him in and ask him? Do you really wanna open this up into a full-blown investigation?
JADE: What choice are you giving me?
BERNICE: There is no choice. You're fired, effective immediately.
JADE: No, please don't do this. I need this job, I have nowhere else to go.
BERNICE: You should've thought of that before you abused your working privileges.
JADE: I'm telling you, I didn't do anything wrong!
BERNICE: My mind is made up, Jade. I want you to leave as peacefully and quickly as possible.

[...]

[Miss Stacell sees Jade and approaches her]
BERNICE: Jade? You're still here? I'm gonna need to ask for your key.
JADE: I left it at home. Maybe you could let me mail it to you.
BERNICE: [pause] I know you've been sleeping here. Spending nights, sleeping on the floor between the stacks. So obviously, you carry your key with you. Please hand it over.
JADE: I don't know what you're talking about.
BERNICE: The key, Jade. Now.
[she hesitates, then hands over the key]
BERNICE: There's a list of shelters in the front lobby, if you need to find a place to sleep. But it's not gonna be here anymore.

---

From cbs.com:

"As the World Turns" (Wednesday, 12th April 2006)

Lily announces to Jade that her free ride is over. She is going to get a job at the Oakdale Library - Lily has already made all the arrangements. Jade is less than thrilled. She tells Luke that Holden covered for her with Lily earlier, but Luke warns her that Holden wont take Jades side over his moms for long. Later, Jade meets Will at the library, and remarks, oh, yeah, hes the kid who killed Rose, right? Also at the library, Katie confides in Nancy how upset Mike is about Oakdale Confidential.

---

From wikipedia.org:

When Jade got wind that Lily knew the truth, she forced Luke into a lengthy game of deception. She set it up so that Lily would find them in bed together, thus beginning their fake relationship. Jade, who claimed to want to be a part of a "real" family, knew that Lily was going to kick her out, but with her and Luke now "together", and Luke threatening to leave town if Jade was kicked out, she knew that she was home free.

There was one condition to the deal, though. Jade told Luke that if he ever told his parents the truth, that they were not an item, she would tell them that he was gay. Lily realized that Luke would leave with Jade if she was kicked out and reluctantly decided to let her stay, but not for free. Lily made Jade move into a cabin on their property and got her a job at the public library as a clerk. The Luke and Jade act went on for several weeks before Luke finally had enough. He was ready to come out to his parents and, though Jade tried to convince him not to, he did. Upon learning that her son's relationship with the waif was fake, Lily kicked Jade out.

Since then, Jade has been secretly spending her nights in the library where she works. Desperate to find a place to stay, she met Will Munson, the young man who had poisoned Rose D'Angelo years earlier. She befriended him and talked him into buying a term paper over the Internet (Will needed to get an A to pass Biology class and graduate with his wife, Gwen). Will kept the term paper a secret from Gwen, citing Jade as "just a friend who helped", and when he passed with flying colors, Gwen was very grateful to Jade. When Mr. Weber, the principal at Oakdale Latin High School, found out that Will cheated on his exams, the young man was expelled from the school. On graduation night, Will found Jade in the woods and they became intoxicated, eventually having sex next to an old footbridge. After spending all night making love, Will instantly felt regret when he woke up with the beautiful Jade at his side. Not wanting to hurt Jade, but also not wanting to hurt his wife, Will told her they had to keep their night of intense passion a secret forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment