Let's Play Star Ocean Till the End of Time #90 Conan the Librarian
UHF? Anyway we can eventually get someone to bribe here in the library. REMEMBER HIM!
Tags: Let's Play Star Ocean Till the End of Time #90 Conan Librarian
Added: 4 years ago
[the player enters the Library of Theology (located in Castle Aquaria on the planet Elicoor II) and speaks with a man walking amongst the stacks]
MACKWELL: I'm not employed by the castle. An old friend lets me in. So save your questions for somebody else. I've no obligation to show you around.
[the player speaks to a woman]
SCHOLARLY PRIESTESS: A wide variety of material concerning the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria and the Church of Apris are kept here. Our kingdom is the oldest land on the continent of Gaitt that can trace its roots directly back to the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor. One could even say our land is steeped in the very history of this continent.
[the player speaks to another man]
ARGUMENTATIVE RUNOLOGIST: Have you noticed that there always seems to be inconsistencies between books from different sources? But since each book has a different author, it's only natural for there to be inconsistencies. What's important is carefully sifting through vast amounts of information to come up with your own answers.
[the player exits and moves on to the Library of Runology (located at the end of the hallway), then speaks with a man]
BOOKWORMISH RUNOLOGIST: I must get on with my research ... Hmm!? Oh, you're that engineer from Greeton, right? I heard about you. Her Majesty ordered us to let you do what you wish. Just don't disturb me!
[the player speaks to another man]
DRY SKINNED RUNOLOGIST: I haven't been able to conduct research in some time. I must start with the latest treatises.
[the player speaks to another man]
SLEEP DEPRIVED RUNOLOGIST: I understand that we are running out of time, but even I have a limit to what I can withstand. Ohhh ... I feel sick ... and my head is pounding ...
"Star Ocean: Till the End of Time" is the third main game in the Star Ocean series. The game was developed by tri-Ace and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 2 console.
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time begins on the planet Hyda IV where a young man, Fayt Leingod, and his childhood friend, Sophia Esteed, are on vacation with Fayt's family. Fayt is the son of Robert Leingod, a famous scientist in the field of symbological genetics. For an unknown reason, the Vendeeni — an alien civilization with highly advanced technology that spans only a single planet — attacks Hyda IV unprovoked, thus initiating a war with the Pangalactic Federation. Fayt and Sophia escape on the starship Helre, but are separated from Fayt's parents, Robert and Ryoko Leingod. The Helre is also attacked by the Vendeeni, and the two are separated.
Fayt's escape pod lands on the "underdeveloped planet" Vanguard III, a planet with technology equivalent to 16th Century Earth, and discovers an off-world criminal, the exiled Rezerbian Norton, plotting to take it over. Cliff Fittir, a member of the anti-Federation organization Quark, then lands and helps Fayt defeat this criminal. Fayt learns that Quark's leader wishes to speak to him and plans on rescuing his father, though Cliff does not reveal the reason behind this interest. After getting off the planet with Cliff and meeting his assistant Mirage, the Vendeeni again attack them — but they escape and crash-land on another underdeveloped world, Elicoor II. Elicoor seems to be around 17th Century Earth in terms of technological advancement. Fayt, Cliff, and Mirage crash-land into the capital of the Kingdom of Airyglyph, who believe that their ship is a weapon developed by the country they are at war with, Aquaria. Fayt and Cliff are imprisoned as a result Mirage escapes, though they are soon rescued by an assassin-like agent, Nel Zelpher, who believes they are engineers from the technologically advanced continent of Greeton. She rescues them under the condition that they aid her country, Aquaria, with their technological knowledge or that she will kill them to prevent them leaking secrets to Airyglyph. This leads the two directly into the war between the two kingdoms and eventually into a great final battle between them. Then a new — at least to the Elicoorians — foe appears in the skies above, a Vendeeni battleship that has found their quarry. However, Fayt destroys the battleship with a previously unknown power of his, though another battleship remains in orbit. During the distraction, the leader of Quark, Maria Traydor, manages to arrive on Elicoor. It seems that both Quark and the Vendeeni knew of Fayt's unusual abilities, and he had been their target the whole time. The party vies with the Vendeeni over control of an unusual "out of place artifact" and Fayt's father, who is killed before Maria can finish interrogating him over his "crimes."
Fayt finds himself space-borne once more, and the galaxy has not stood still. Shortly after the apparently unprovoked attack on Hyda IV, a threat of destruct-full magnitude emerges in the form of ultra-powerful space-borne beings calling themselves "Executioners." The best ships of the Federation and the Vendeeni are nearly powerless against these new beings, and are quickly being forced into full retreat. The party, acting on a hint from Fayt's father, venture to the Moonbase research station, and Fayt is reunited with Sophia. While on the station, they are confronted by an angelic-looking Executioner that calls itself Proclaimer. It launches itself to attack, telling them that they must be destroyed.
Investigation of the Moonbase records reveals the truth behind the Executioners and their appearance. During the charting of a planet called Styx, explorers encountered an extremely advanced and extremely old Time Gate. When activated, it informed them that their forays into the field of symbological genetics had angered the Creator, and that they were to be destroyed. Even if they were to abandon symbological genetics, the reins would be taken up by another soon enough, and that they were not being warned — they were being sentenced.
The explorers beat a hasty retreat and informed the Federation of what they had found. Studies soon suggested that the statement came from another plane of existence; an entirely new universe. Further study revealed that symbology might be used to access this universe. The scientists agreed to use their own offspring; the subjects were Fayt Leingod, Sophia Esteed, and Maria Traydor. Fayt was the son of Robert and Ryoko Leingod, while Sophia was the daughter of Clive Esteed. Maria was an orphan who was later adopted by the fourth member of the team, Jessie Traydor. The three were symbologically altered in such a way that if they worked together, they could gain entry through the Time Gate. Maria was given the power of Alteration, which would allow her and those with her to remain in physical forms in the new world. Fayt was given the power of Destruction, as it was assumed they would need to physically defend themselves. Two years later, the younger Sophia was given the power of Connection - the key ability needed to make contact with 4D space. (This process of creating humans with inherent symbological power is quite similar to Nede's creation of the Ten Wise Men in Star Ocean: The Second Story, though this did not draw down the wrath of the Executioners due Star Ocean 3: Till The End of Time being out of continuity with other Star Ocean games.) The Vendeeni had been attacking in hopes of handing over Fayt to the Executioners and staying their wrath.
The party goes to Styx and finds the area flooded with Executioners. Escaping their ship in a small shuttle, they witness the mysterious beings and their awesome might first-hand as the Federation battleship Aquaelie which had escorted them is destroyed. Reaching the Time Gate, the party enters "4D space," a dimension higher than their own. According to the 4D beings, their universe is actually not real in relation to 4D space; rather, it is a computer simulation developed by Luther Lansfeld, the owner of the Sphere Company. Dubbed the "Eternal Sphere", it is similar to a real-world massively multiplayer online game for the inhabitants of 4D space.
Fayt and his allies learn that the Executioners are anti-viruses sent to delete anomalies in the Milky Way section of the Eternal Sphere. With the help of Blair Lansfeld, programmer and sister to Luther, the party manages to find Luther. Blair and the group believe that the residents of the Eternal Sphere have managed to achieve a level of intelligence equal to that of 4D citizens; Luther, however, considers them "mere data." Luther then decides that the only way to delete them is to delete the entire universe (apparently ignoring that he is currently in the Eternal Sphere). The party fights and defeats him, causing him to be deleted himself, but fails to stop the deletion.
However, the world is not destroyed for not entirely clear reasons. Blair mentions an "Eternal Sphere backup" earlier, but there's no evidence that it was applied. The characters decide that even if they really are just programs, they have achieved "consciousness" and therefore cannot be deleted. Alternatively, others suggest Maria's power of Alteration has something to do with it, perhaps even implying that their universe has truly become a reality unto itself and therefore not subject to deletion.
The ending slightly changes based on the "affection level" of the other characters for Fayt, derived from the player's choices during the game and in Private Actions. Fayt has an ending for each character if that character has the highest affection level with him, as well as an "alone" ending if no one has sufficient affection level with him.
Books in the Library of Theology
* History of Gaitt I - "Seven hundred years ago, Aquaria I, the first Holy Mother, established a small, nameless kingdom in the northern reaches of central Gaitt. Is is said that while she and her people, worshipers of the primeval gods, fled to this land to escape the divine plagues, they were protected by the Wing of Time, one of the wings left behind by the seraph Faria."
* History of Gaitt II - "One day, a small dispute arose between the fledging kingdom and its neighbor. The dispute spread rapidy to nearby lands, which were vying for control of the central part of the continent. Within a generation, it had grown into the Torastic Religious War, a great war involving seven neighboring lands. Led by the divine guidance of Apris, the Sun God, the small, nameless kingdom won the war, made peace with four of their neighboring lands, and then merged them into a single kingdom. That is said to be the origin of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor, which would later give rise to the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria."
* History of Gaitt II (Anecdote) - "During the Torastic Religious War, Apris, the Sun God, answered Aquaria I's sincere prayers for peace by sending the Emissary of Apris. The Emissary presented the Queen with a magic sword and the knowledge of runes. Aquaria I was thus chosen by Apris to be the Holy Mother, and she used her two newly granted powers to fight toward ending the war. This enabled the nameless kingdom to win the war and reestablish peace throughout the land. When Aquaria I became the first ruler of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor, she expressed her gratitude to Apris by establishing the Church of Apris as their official religion and vowing to worship Apris as the Father God for all eternity."
* History of Gaitt III - "Three hundred and twenty years ago, the emerging Kingdom of Greeton in eastern Gaitt invaded Aquor with 600 mechamen under the control of the Snake of Valeria, the 3rd generation Mech Master, and the kingdom's Iron, Steel, Copper, and Silver combat battalions. Even back then, Greeton was known as a technological superpower, and their steel mechamen were extremely powerful. The Ancient Kingdom of Aquor lost most of its territory within half a year. Completely overwhelmed by Greeton's power, reigning queen Edyglyph took the legendary sword Crimson Scourge, her infant son, and a few of her followeres and fled into the night, abandoning her kingdom, her people, and her gods. Without its queen, Aquor soon fell to the invading hoards of Greeton. So it was one woman's betrayal that caused the utter destruction of the once flourishing Kingdom of Aquor withing a mere year of Greeton's invasion."
* History of Gaitt III (Anecdote) - "When Surferio, the capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor, fell to the Kingdom of Greeton, Edyglyph the Traitor and her closest followers fled toward the Airyglyph region. Most, however, were caught by Greeton's forces, and only a very few made it to the land of Airyglyph alive. Perhaps it was divine retribution against the traitors who betrayed their god, their kingdom, and their people."
* History of Gaitt IV (Vol. 1) - "Twenty years into Greeton's domination of the Aquios region, one young lady rose up against the tyranny of the Snake of Valeria, the Mech Master who ruled the conquered land for his kingdom. Her name was Crestia Dyne. She would later be crowned Sirvia I and become known to future generations as Sirvia, the Liberator. Crestia, aided by her brother, Ronaldo, engaged in a protracted war with the far more powerful forces of the Kingdom of Greeton, until one fateful day."
* History of Gaitt IV (Vol. 2) - "The bitter struggle against the Mechanized Corps controlled by the Snake of Valeria continued beyond all hope. One day, Crestia single-handedly slipped through the enemy's defenses into the land of Surferio. She stood defiantly before the accursed Mech Master and raised to the heavens the Sacred Orb, which she had received from the Emissary of Apris upon visiting the Shrine of Kaddan. Thereupon, the very earth fractured and out rushed a massive torrent of water, inundating the surrounding land and sweeping away the Mechanized Corps. And so it was that the corrupted city of Surferio was submerged in a single night by the gods' wrath. After losing their Mechanized Corps, the backbone of their military might, the remaining enemy forces were driven all the way back to the continent of Greeton by the Runological Unit led by Crestia's brother, Ronaldo."
* History of Gaitt IV (Vol. 3) - "Crestia, the savior of our kingdom, learned through a divine revelation from Elena, Goddess of Light, that she was a scion of the royal family of Aquor, the kingdom that had been annihilated by Greeton. Backed by the strong popular support of the people, Crestia founded the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria. Thereupon, she was crowned Sirvia I and her brother, Ronaldo, was appointed Royal Minister. The two siblings ruled the kingdom for many long years."
* History of Gaitt V - "After Crestia, the Holy Mother, was crowned Sirvia I, the Sacred Orb was returned to Kaddan by her brother, Ronaldo. It is said that Ronaldo was thereupon blessed by the goddess Elena and received a stone tablet engraved with ten divine precepts that all worshipers of Apris must obey."
* A Traveler's Guide to Greeton's Culture - "It has been 300 years since the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria was founded, but diplomatic relations with the kingdom of Greeton have never been officially established. Travel between our kingdoms by adventurers, merchants, and other individuals is still possible, but one must always keep in mind the historically rooted enmity that exists between our peoples."
* A Traveler's Guide to Greeton's Races - "The Kingdom of Greeton is an immense land located on the continent of Greeton to the east of the continent of Gaitt. The majority of its inhabitants are mineral-based creatures comprised primarily of barchite, a very rare mineral. Known as Rockfolk, they developed a high level of intelligence via the absorption, over many centuries, of trace ammounts of runological force that exists in the enviroment. Among Rockfolk, there are a very few special individuals who were born with an ability that allows them to learn the art of controlling mechamen, men made of metal. Known as mechanteers, these special Rockfolk are highly regarded in their society."
* A Traveler's Guide to Sanmite's Culture - "The Republic of Sanmite is characterized by the worship of different gods depending on the region. This is due to the fact that there are so many different races living within its borders. Unlike our Church of Apris wherein there is an all-powerful main god worshipped by all our people, the races of Sanmite each worship a completely different set of gods. The total number of gods worshipped is said to be anywhere from 1,023 to 65,535. It seems even the inhabitants of the Republic of Sanmite do not know for sure."
* A Traveler's Guide to Sanmite's Races - "In the hilly terrain of western Gaitt lies the Republic of Sanmite, a federation of numerous, small states. Each state is comprised of a different race, and the Republic's policies are decided at councils held by representatives from each of them. The races of Sanmite include Menodix in its wildlands, Flau in its forests, Greem on its shorelines, and Molefolk in its desert regions. There are also other races such as Retail Rabbits, Beegul, Drowglynn, Bubblehearts, Houndfolk, and Felinefolk. One must remember that each of the various races comprising the Republic of Sanmite have their own unique culture and customs."
* Relations with the Kingdom of Sanmite - "Currently, the biggest problem we have with the Republic of Sanmite centers on the sacred site of Surferio. Surferio was the capital of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor, the land that was later to give rise to the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria. History clearly shows that it is part of our soverign territory. However, Surferio is now home to a number of humanoid races, such as Greem and Menodix. Such a serious issue should not be left unsettled. Our kingdom should immediately demand that the Republic of Sanmite return Surferio." (Somebody wrote something down at the bottom. It says ... ) "What's so great about getting that place back? What utter nonsense! Of course, it'd be a different story if we had gills."
* A Traveler's Guide to Airyglyph's Culture - "The Kingdom of Airyglyph and our kingdom share common roots in the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor. As a result, there are similarities between our cultures. However, the Glyphians are known as a warlike people who care little about the world outside their lands. This is thought to be a product of the different ways the two kingdoms were founded."
* A Traveler's Guide to Airyglyph's Races - "The Kingdom of Airyglyph is located in the mountainous region of southern Gaitt. It was created by the scions of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor, who fled there during the war with Greeton. In one respect, it can be considered out sister kingdom based on our common roots. It is not commonly known that their founder, Airyglyph I, was the son of Edyglyph, the last queen of the Ancient Kingdom of Aquor."
* Relations with the Kingdom of Airyglyph - "A large number of problems exist between our two kingdoms, including Airyglyph's distortions of history, disputed borderlines, and their refugees who enter our land illegally. Behind such problems lies the economic disparity between our kingdoms. Since the majority of Glyphian territory is barren, snow-covered land, their economy is almost entirely dependant on the mineral deposits mined in Kirlsa. However, due to the over-mining in recent years, their mineral resources are beginning to run out, making it difficult for the kingdom to survive."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris I - "The Church of Apris worships many gods in addition to Apris, the Sun God. There are the Sun God's wives, the Triplet Moon Goddesses, along with their offspring, the eight gods and goddesses of land, water, fire, clouds, light, darkness, time, and the underworld. Then there is the Emissary of Apris, who is charged with conveying the word of Apris. These gods and goddesses are enshrined at temples across our land, where they are worshipped by countless believers."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris II - "Apris, the Sun God, rules over the other gods and presides over raging flames and rebirth. He is also embodied in Elicoor, our sun that blazes in the heavens. The words of Apris become the Emissary of Apris as they descend to our world. And the heart of Apris, who ever grieves for our world, takes the form of the Holy Mother and descends from the heavens."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris III - "The three moons that circle our world along with Apris are the embodiments of his three wives. The largest moon is the embodiment of Irisa, Goddess of the Moon and Storms. She is a wild deity who presides over the vast sky and dance. The second largest is the embodiment of Erinia, Goddess of the Moon and Thunder. She is a fierce goddess who presides over storms and war. The smallest is the embodiment of Palmira, Goddess of the Moon and Rain. A tranquil goddess who presides over water and beauty, she is the youngest of the three sisters. These three beautiful wives of Apris, the Sun God, are also the mothers of the eight deities who preside over the natural world."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris IV - "The Goddess of Light, Elena, born with wings of pure white on her back, is the offspring of Apris and Irisa. She is a valiant deity who presides over courage and authority. She is also the keeper of all who sing songs that inspire heroes and all creatures who soar through the skies."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris V - "The God of Darkness, Oreas, born with eyes that pierce the night, is the offspring of Apris and Palmira. He is a hideous deity who presides over the night and sleep. This guardian of all that lurk in the shadows fills the world with distress with just a few words."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris VI - "The God of Clouds, Solon, fastest of all the deities, is the offspring of Apris and Irisa. He is an openhearted deity who presides over freedom and peace. This guardian of spirits changes form to journey throughout the land."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris VII - "The Goddess of Fire, Dirna, armed with a blazing bow, is the offspring of Apris and Erinia. She is a selfish deity who presides over knowledge and the hunt. This guardian of dragons protects the world along with Solon."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris VIII - "The God of the Land, Aire, largest of all the deities, is the offspring of Apris and Palmira. He is a fearsome-looking, yet gentle deity who presides over mountains and valor. This guardian of all who roam the land quietly takes care of matters with his mighty battleaxe."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris IX - "The Goddess of Water, Shar, is one of the beautiful twins born from the sleeves of Erinia and Palmira. She is a serene deity who presides over spring and tears. This guardian of all that lives in water interrupts winter with her sword."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris X - "The Goddes of Time, Leiria, is the other twin born from the sleeves of Erinia and Palmira. She is a quiet deity who provides over sorrow and growth. This guardian of faeries entwines time with her wand."
* The Gods of the Church of Apris XI - "The God of the Underworld, Folstar, is the unwanted offspring of Apris and Erinia. He is a cruel deity who presides over winter and fear. This guardian of the dead reaps souls with his long sword."
* Book of Creation I - "In the distant past, when even the sands of time did not flow, it is said that the world was divided into the promised Land of Aden and the Land of Eldia, where those of unfledged souls flock. Aden was protected by the divine powers of the ten deities, and the people there lived in peace and happiness. But in Eldia, where the powers of the ten deities could not reach, the negative emotions of anger, hatred, suffering, envy, jealousy, scorn, and lust filled the land."
* Book of Creation II - "One day, out of idle curiosity, the seraph Faria, who was born in Eldia but raised in Aden, sowed the seeds of a strife between the demon Luqifer and the deva Lance. The seeds soaked up the red water Faria gave them, and in a blink of an eye they sprouted and grew so big that they covered all of Eldia. In time, the small strife turned into fierce hatred, precipitating a massive war that ultimately involved the people of Aden, too."
* Book of Creation III - "By the end of the fierce war between the gods, the two lands of Aden and Eldia had been ravaged by searing white flames that stretched all the way to the heavens. Countless gods and people lost their lives and those that survived had nowhere to which they could return ... Frightened by the result of their actions, the gods gave rise to a new Promised Land known as Enalneed, guided the survivors there, and then vanished from this world. And so it said the Age of the Ancients ended."
* Book of Creation IV - "The world became a void where there was no light, no wind, nor even any sound. And yet, after a time immeasurable to man, new life sprouted. From the blazing Land of Aden rose the Father God, Apris, clothed in a crimson robe, and from the frozen Land of Eldia rose the beautiful triplet goddesses Irisa, Erinia, and Palmira."
* Book of Creation V - "Over a period of 1,024 years, the Father God, Apris, together with the three Moon Goddesses, created a new land of hope and the many living things there. Once they finished creating all life, Apris threw his own body into a blazing fire, transforming his very soul into a great mass of flames that rose into the heavens. Thus he became embodied in the Sun so he could watch over the world for all eternity. The triplet goddesses Irisa, Erinia, and Palmira also sought to protect the world together with their husband, Apris. As they rose into the heavens, the ever curious Irisa kept looking back at the world they had created, and so it was that she ended up being separated from the other two Moon Goddesses circling our world."
* About Ikelos' Book of Prophecies - "Written by Aquaria I, there are a total 777 chapters spanning 13 volumes. It is said to record all the divine plagues that will ravage our world. However, the prophecies are shrouded in cryptic language. Accurately deciphering them is extremely difficult, even for scholars specializing in such matters. Some scholars even claim that Ikelos' Book of Prophecies is a forgery written during the war 300 years ago. However, the prophecies that have been deciphered thus far describe actual events that have occurred, and based on this nearly flawless, god-like accuracy, the book may indeed be the word of the gods."
* The Treasures of the Gods - "The sacred treasures of great power that have been found are evidence of the existence of gods. They include the Sacred Orb, a crystal sphere of pure runological force; the Sword of the Crimson Scourge, which assimilates the souls of its victims; the Sacred Tablet of the Ten Precepts, which record the law as handed down by the gods; and the living eyes of the Holy Mother. They are all mysterious treasures with powers beyond all mortal comprehension. It can be said that the very existence of these treasures proves that there truly are gods."
* The Sacred Orb - "The Sacred Orb is the sacred treasure bestowed upon Sirvia, the Liberator, by the Emissary of Apris, the word of the Father God. It has the power to produce an endless amount of water, and legends say it once submerged an entire city in a single night."
* Sword of the Crimson Scourge - "The Sword of the Crimson Scourge is the sacred treasure bestowed upon Aquaria I by the Emissary of Apris. This sentient sword chooses who may possess it, and it is said that when wielded by one who it has accepted as its master, it can even cleave the sky in two. The sword is currently in the hands of the Kingdom of Airyglyph, for it was taken from our land by Edyglyph the Traitor."
* The Sacred Tablet of the Ten Precepts - "The Sacred Tablet of the Ten Precepts is the sacred treasure bestowed upon St. Ronaldo Dyne by Elena, Goddess of Light. Upon its surface are carved Ten precepts that all followers of Apris must obey ... 1. Thou shalt walk thine own road, provided thou doest not violate the following precepts. 2. Thou shall not steal, maim, nor kill. 3. Thou shall practice moderation, not indulgence. 4. Thou shall cherish thy fellow man, and value the souls of the all living creatures, for they are equal. 5. Thou shall work hard and fulfill thy duties, for indolence is the death of the soul. 6. Thou shall not cause needless strife, for pain begets anger, and anger begets suffering. 7. Thou shall abandon desire and broaden thy knowledge. Act upon truth, not illusions. 8. Thou shall judge fairly. It is a sin to do otherwise. 9. Thou shall punish criminals according to their crimes, for those who go unpunished will commit them again. 10. Thou shall never punish the innocent."
* The Holy Mother - "The Holy Mother is the prophet of the Gods, sent by Apris, the Sun God, whenever the kingdom faces a crisis. From birth, the Holy Mother has strong powers of divination, and the flow of runological force induced by runes can be seen directly by her eyes. Only one possessing such sacred power in her eyes can gain mastery of the many sacred treasures bestowed by the gods. Some say that perhaps the very powers of divination possessed by the Holy Mother should be counted among the sacred treasures bestowed by the Emissary of Apris."
Books in the Library of Runology
* Tome of Healing - "Healing closes wounds by applying a thin membrane of runological force, and then stimulates the body to heal itself. It also refreshes the body from exhaustion, thereby fully curing the target. Unfortunately, this skill cannot reverse the aging process."
* Tome of Antidote - "Antidote sends a strong, external runological force into a body afflicted by poison. The force stabilizes and modifies the poison so that it will no longer do any harm. Note that a slightly different form of runological force must be used depending on whether the poison is secreted by a living organism, created by toxic minerals or metals, or is in gaseous form. Therefore, users of this skill must be well versed in all manners of toxic substances."
* Tome of Acid Rain - "Acid Rain raises the temperature of a layer of air high up in the sky, while applying massive amounts of moisture. In the next instant, it lowers the temperature, thereby creating many clouds. Finally, it produces a violent surge of channeled force that induces searing raindrops that pelt the enemy. This is a fearsome skill producing rain that dissolves metal, turns stone into foam, and burns people to death."
* Tome of Gravitation - "Gravitation restricts the target's movement and greatly reduces its speed by tightly grasping the flow of runological force generated by its motion, and then producing a flow in the opposite direction. Theoretically, producing the exact same flow as the target, but in the opposite direction, should be able to fully halt it. But in reality, restricting movement by a flow that is about 20 percent of the strength of the target flow is the limit."
* Tome of Reflection - "Reflection protects the invoker from the effects of runology unleashed by an enemy by deploying a barrier of channeled force that blocks the transmission of runological force. Few seek to learn this skill, for it only can be used in battles against other runologists and monsters that use runology. However, this skill must not be forgotten, for it is extremely effective against the aforementioned foes. And it goes without saying that you, too, can be considered as just such a foe to someone else."
* Tome of Silence - "Silence blocks the flow of runological force around the target, thereby preventing the invocation of runology. When using this skill, you must not forget that blocking the flow of runolofical force to runes carved on the usual places that lack their own runological force is very easy, but doing the same for runes carved on special locations, items, or a body possessing a strong runological force requires considerable experience, ability, and luck."
* Tome of Faerie Light - "Among the purebred faeries in Faerieland, there are several types that lay eggs on living creatures, including humans. Faerie larva that hatch from eggs immediately burrow into the body and start a parasitic relationship with their host. Whenever the host body is damaged, the larva protect themselves by releasing fluid that regenerates it. It is said that Fearie Light emits a specific color of light, thereby summoning faeries. That, of course, is an outright fabrication. After all, it would be far too revolting if it were true."
* Tome of Restoration - "The definition of life is a state of being wherein the soul and body are in perfect harmony. Death refers to the instant the thread of runological force binding the soul to the body is severed, causing them to fully separate. Restoration stops the soul from separating from the body, and then supplies new runological force. However, this skill does not work in all cases. The act of supplying runological force is the same as incorporating a foreign force into the body. In short, there is a fine line between that act and producing new life in another being."
* The Theory of Transcendent Runology - "Why do our skills heal bodily wounds? Because they use runology. Why do our skills stimulate the body, enabling us to invoke abilities more powerful than normal? Because they use runology. Why were these skills handed down only to the Sacred Kingdom of Aquaria? Because they use runology. Why can only the descendants of Aquaria I, our founder, invoke these skills? Because they use runology. It is all because of runology."
* Tome of Fire Bolt - "Fire Bolt is invoked using the fire rune. It starts by producing a fireball by temporarily increasing runological force around the invoker. It then creates a path between the invoker and target wherein runological force is lower than the surrounding environment, and launches the fireball along that path."
* Tome of Ice Needles - "Ice Needles is invoked using the water rune. It starts by producing icicles by temporarily decreasing runological force around the invoker. It then creates a path between the invoker and target wherein runological force is higher than the surrounding environment, and launches the icicles along that path."
* Tome of Earth Glaive - "Earth Glaive is invoked using the earth rune. It starts by producing a flow of runological force at the base of the target. It then channels that flow into a spiraling force that sucks up earth and stone in the area, forming large masses of material."
* Tome of Laser Beams - "Laser Beams is invoked using a rune. It converts an extremely small quantity of matter in the atmosphere into a torrent of pure runological force. The resulting energy directly strikes the target."
* Tome of Lightning Blast - "Lightning Blast is invoked using the earth and water runes. First the earth rune produces an eddy of magnetic force around the invoker, causing lightons to build up within his/her body. Then the water rune produces a low-temperature path between the invoker and target, and then launches the lightons along that path."
* Tome of Crush - "Crush is invoked using a rune with a pattern unlike any other. It summons a huge mass from out of nowhere, crushing the target."
* Tome of Blood Scylla - "The source of all action in our world is the motion of runological force, and the act of the soul bonding to the body is no exception. Blood Scylla is invoked using the fire and water runes. First the fire rune breaks down the power of the target soul, and then the water rune reassembles it as its own power."
* Tome of Efreet - "Efreet concentrates the runological force around the invoker to produce matter. A side effect of this tears a hole in space. Through this hole, it summons from the spirit world an Efreet that possesses the tiny creatures living in the air and attacks the target."
* Treatise on Applied Attributes - "The connection between runes and runology is not a simple correlation. The darkness rune can produce flames, and there is even a skill that blocks light using the water rune. Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible. You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you."
* Rune Attributes (Light) - "The power of the light rune dominates fire and wind and yields to water and earth. It results in sonic waves when combined with wind, and when combined with water, it is a flow that invokes life. Light and darkness cancel each other out."
* Rune Attributes (Darkness) - "The power of the darkness rune dominates water and earth and yields to fire and wind. It results in stars when combined with earth, and when combined with fire, it is a flow that invokes death. Darkness and light cancel each other out."
* Rune Attributes (Fire) - "The power of the fire rune dominates earth and darkness and yields to wind and light. It results in death when combined with darkness, and when combined with wind, it is a flow that invokes explosions. Fire and water cancel each other out."
* Rune Attributes (Water) - "The power of the water rune dominates wind and light and yields to earth and darkness. It results in life when combined with light, and when combined with earth, it is a flow that invokes lightning. Water and fire cancel each other out."
* Rune Attributes (Wind) - "The power of the wind rune dominates darkness and fire and yields to light and water. It results in explosions when combined with fire, and when combined with light, it is a flow that invokes sonic waves. Wind and earth cancel each other out."
* Rune Attributes (Earth) - "The power of the earth rune dominates light and water and yields to darkness and fire. It results in lightning when combined with water, and when combined with darkness, it is a flow that invokes stars. Earth and wind cancel each other out."
* Correlation Between Runes - "The correlation between runes is thought of as a hexagon with the most ancient of runes (light, darkness, fire, water, wind, and earth) at its vertices. Enveloping this hexagon is another one with sonic waves, explosions, death, stars, lightning, and life at its vertices, balancing out the forces of our world."
* Transcendent Runology - "In addition to the runology skills that are already known, there are a number of other powerful skills that have been used by legendary figures. Many scholars have attempted to ascertain such runes, but not one has succeeded yet."
* The Development of Channeled Force - "We can produce a variety of phenomena by carving runes and using runology. However, using the traditional method of carving runes to derive runological force, we are not able to produce exactly the same result twice. In short, whenever we have attempted to produce a phenomenon slightly different from one produced by a certain combination of runes, we've always had to come up with a completely new combination through years of research. This is not very efficient. Consequently, research began on whether it would be possible to transform and store the energy derived from runology, and then release and use it when necessary. This research resulted in the discovery of channeled force."
* What is Channeled Force? - "Channeled force is a form of energy in which tiny particles called 'lightons' flow between matter. The advantages of channeled force are easy portability and good convertibility into other forms of energy. Especially in terms of portability, it exceeds all other forms of energy."
* (A number of research papers.) How to Make Delicious Curry - "Use the wind rune 'Asas' on a kettle to isolate runological force from the surrounding environment, and then apply five earth runes, 'Gar,' inside the kettle. Applying pressure inside the kettle that is higher than the pressure outside enables you to create hot and delicious curry without using the fire rune, 'Fra.' But be careful not to over apply Gar, or else your potatoes will overcook and fall apart. - Elena Frahm, Lightning Blast Section (Sophomore)" (There are other books in the series, including "How to Make Cream Stew" and "How to Make Beef Stew")
* Runology Invoked by the Light Rune - "The light rune is a pattern that acts on matter by converting it into runological force. A massive torrent of runological force is released into the surrounding environment, thought only a trace amount of matter is lost. The light rune is the power of Apris, the Sun God, himself, and it takes considerable skill to master it."
* Runology Invoked by the Darkness Rune - "The darkness rune is a pattern that collects the runological force existing in the surrounding environment and converts it into matter. By condensing the matter it produces, it has the power to distort space, opening a portal to another world."
* Runology Invoked by the Fire Rune - "The fire rune is a pattern with the power to increase the runological force possessed by the target matter. To prevent its own breakdown, matter with excess runological force absorbs oxygen from the environment, thereby stabilizing itself by reducing its excess energy. An accumulation of such energy causes matter to burn, and the resulting flames are nothing but a byproduct of the runological force released into the environment."
* Runology Invoked by the Water Rune - "The water rune is a pattern with the power to decrease the runological force possessed by the target matter. To prevent its own breakdown, matter with insufficient runological force absorbs environmental runological force, thereby attempting to stabilize itself. This fluctuation of runological force chills the surrounding air. The ice produced by invoking water runology is a mere byproduct of the low air temperature."
* Runology Invoked by the Wind Rune - "The wind rune is a pattern with the power to stop the flow of runological force around the target matter. When the flow of runological force accumulates in the surrounding air, it seeks a way to escape, resulting in a raging torrent that travels outward from the target. Controlling the flow of this runological force to make it do what one wants is the very domination of the wind."
* Runology Invoked by the Earth Rune - "The earth rune is a pattern with the power to accelerate the flow of runological force around the target matter. When the flow of runological force in the surrounding air accelerates, the flow itself becomes energy that can propel the target matter."
* Attribute Ability - "Each runologist has a certain affinity for light, wind, fire, darkness, earth, and water attributes of runology. Thus, when a runologist learns two vastly different skills, the effects they produce will be distinctly different. This applies even when the two skills are practiced in exactly the same way, and the same exact time is spent learning them both. This ability per attribute is intimately related to the character of the runologist, and is is thought that general attribute affinity can be determined based on character. However, it is not clear whether a runologist's character is shaped later by innate attribute ability, or attribute ability is acquired later, according to the inborn character."
* Properties by Attribute - "In runology, there are actually a variety of properties defined by rune attributes. Runology that invokes the power of light has a very strong effect, but requires considerable power to invoke. Runology that invokes the power of darkness has excellent applicability, but this results in a loss in stability. Runoolgy that invokes the power of fire is easy to learn, but there are many beings resistant to it. Runology that invokes the power of water is widely effective, but is difficult to control. Runology that invokes the power of wind has a variety of effects, but is less powerful than the others. Runology that invokes the power of earth does not have any particular drawbacks, but it's just not used much. Which skils a runologist should learn depend on his/her ability, but there is one thing we must mention: Earth runology should be avoided."
* Correlation Between Runological Force and Runes - "Runological force is pure energy that is the source of all action in this world. The power of runological force can be artificially manipulated by carving patterns called runes when needed. And, by combining different runes, it is possible to control the flow of runological force so it can be converted into forms engineers desire in order to produce particular results. The phenomenon that is produced in this manner is known as 'runology.'"
* The Origin of Runology - "During the Torastic Religious War 700 years ago, the Emissary of Apris bestowed upon Aquaria I six runes. That is said to have been the origin of runology. Since then, countless runologists have continued research on the subject, leading to the development of a number of new runes. However, runes produced in this manner were simply combinations of of the original six that were bestowed. It is not yet known why runes, which are just simple combinations of patterns, affect our world."