Baraboo Bookers from Baraboo Public Library Book Cart Drill Team-ALA 2009
DEMCO Sponsored 2009 ALA Fifth Annual Book Cart Drill Team: Baraboo Bookers from Baraboo Public Library
Tags: Baraboo Bookers from Baraboo Public Library
Added: 2 years ago
The fifth annual Library Book Cart Drill Team Championship, showcasing library workers performing inspired dance routines with costumes and creatively decorated book carts, will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m., Sunday, July 12. The competition is one of the many events taking place during the American Library Association's (ALA) Annual Conference held July 9 – 15 at the McCormick Place West.
Book Cart Drill Teams increase the visibility of the library in their community. Teams can be found at community events such as parades and festivals, traveling to grade schools to promote literacy and provide library staff with the opportunity to build morale and encourage teamwork.
"Each year this event brings in a standing room only crowd to cheer on their favorite team," said ALA Conference Services Director Deidre Ross. "The competition is just another example of how librarians, like libraries, can be fun and hip."
This year's competing teams include:
* "Oak Park Public Library Warrior Librarians," Oak Park (Ill.) Public Library
* "Delaware Diamonds," The State of Delaware
* "Baraboo Bookers," Baraboo (Wis.) Public Library
* "Steel City Kings," University of Pittsburgh
* "The Bibliofiles," Austin (Texas) Public Library
* "Well Stacked Sci-Brarians," Santa Monica Public Library
* "Dewey Decimators," Daniel Boone Regional Library
* "Cart Wheels," Des Plaines (Ill.) Public Library
This event is sponsored by DEMCO, who will provide book carts for the event as well as prizes. First, second and third place winners will receive a plaque, Gold, Silver or a Bronze full-sized book cart. Award-winning children's book author/illustrator Mo Willems (The Elephant and Piggie books) and Jon Scieszka ("The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Fairy Tales") will serve as Color Commentators for the event.