Thursday, May 10, 2012

Case Study No. 0314: Travis Porter

The Real Travis Porter (librarian from Idaho) *Pretty Damn Funny*
5:09
This is the funniest Shit Ever! The Real Travis Porter does a presentation about us...
Tags: The Real Travis Porter Presentation Twitter
Added: 1 month ago
From: whoistravisporter
Views: 11,459

[Travis Porter is on stage, addressing the audience as his PowerPoint presentation is projected on a giant screen behind him]
TRAVIS PORTER: How y'all doin'?
[the audience cheers]
TRAVIS PORTER: My name is Travis Porter ...
[someone in the audience yells "Hi Travis!"]
TRAVIS PORTER: Hey, how are you?
[cut to a closeup of the screen, with the text "No, I am @travisporter (http://dailyfranklin dot com)"]
TRAVIS PORTER: Oddly enough, on Twitter I'm known as "travisporter" ... And I have come here looking for your advice. For I have been falsely accused with what Wikipedia terms as "twitdenity fraud!"
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen with the text "twitdentity fraud - The knowing and deliberate misrepresentation of an individual's Twitter handle for the purposes of any sort of internet malarkey."]
TRAVIS PORTER: And Wikipedia only says that because I put it up there yesterday ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: But, I am a man in the wrong ... for actually, I am a victim of - again from Wikipedia - "mistaken twitdentity!"
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen with the text "mistaken twitdentity - An accidental Twitter user confusion usually occurring when similar usernames combine with people who can't be bothered to do a quick name search. Definition from Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)* *As of 4/20, again when I put it there."]
TRAVIS PORTER: So lemmee give you a little history of my twistory ...
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "My Twistory - Became @travisporter in 2008; Exploring social media for Boise Public Library!; By 2009, boasted a rapt audience of 9 followers"]
TRAVIS PORTER: I became "travisporter" in 2008. I was investigating social media for the Boise Public Library.
[the audience cheers]
TRAVIS PORTER: Right on!
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "My Tweets - Despite my few and far between tweets, my followers count started growing dramatically in early 2010."]
TRAVIS PORTER: My tweets, frankly, were boring and few and far between ...
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen with examples of tweets including "The Porter Reporter: Thanksgiving in Boise 2009" and "The Porter Reporter: Day Trip to the Craters of the Moon Monument"]
TRAVIS PORTER: But for some reason, "travisporter" mentions in the ... became more and more frequent.
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "@travisporter Mentions (complimentary)" and examples of tweets including "flyasskymm - Good morning @TravisPorter"; "01MrsLilTunechi - @TravisPorter follow me"; "kupkakekutie94 - travey baby! @TravisPorter"; "RpolotroyL - i wish i could live like @travisporter"]
TRAVIS PORTER: At first, they were very complimentary ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: And frankly, then they became more curious ...
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "@travisporter Mentions (curious)" and examples of tweets including "nikeking9389 - @travisporter is coming to my homecoming!"; "Sheabeloved - I want nails done. And my hair done. But me whatever I want @TravisPorter"; "Ms8inchHeelz - I start and end my day with @TravisPorter everyday!!"; "NupeyKollins - WHEN is @travisporter going to be in San Antonio ... "]
TRAVIS PORTER: Many location-based, wondering if I was coming to their homecoming ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: Letting me know that I was in "da house" ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: And then, frankly, they became accusatory ...
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen with the text "@travisporter Mentions (accusatory)" and examples of tweets including "REDbone_GeMiNi - I think @travisporter is infatuated wit strippers lol"; "J_IDo_ItTaylor - @travisporter really does have hoes/groupies ... *shrugs* lol"; "superswagcity - WHY IS @TravisPorter Getting all The Female's Get Naked in Sending Them Pics #SMH"; "ShaunieLately - If i ever saw @TravisPorter in a crayola colored outfit from H&M i would smack his momma!"]
TRAVIS PORTER: So using a librarian's best friend, the Google search, I found out that there is another Travis Porter ...
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with a photo of the three-man rap group Travis Porter]
TRAVIS PORTER: This is a hip hop group ...
[cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "So Who Is The Other Travis Porter? - American hip hop act from Decatur GA; 3 members Strap, Quez, and Ali; Started exploring music together in 2006; Recently signed to Jive Records; wearetravisporter dot com; Twitter @iamtravisporter"]
TRAVIS PORTER: From Georgia, three people ... None of which are named Travis Porter.
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: It's a little unclear where they got the name, but I did wanna call out that Travis Porter is a lifestyle ...
[the audience cheers]
TRAVIS PORTER: And everyone in here has an inner Travis Porter!
[the audience cheers, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "Let's Clarify" and a picture of "iamtravisporter" (the three rappers giving the peace sign to the camera) next to a picture of "travisporter" (Travis dressed in a Harry Potter costume)]
TRAVIS PORTER: How "iamtravisporter" became three people, I am not sure ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: Relative powers ... "iamtravisporter" claims to have the ability to "make it rain."
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: I, on the other hand, cannot make it rain but I can tell you that there is an island in Hawaii that rains three hundred and fifty days a year!
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "What's In a Username? - Current Twitter Profile Statistics - More than 1200 followers; Approximately five new followers a day; Averaging about one @travisporter mention every two hours"]
TRAVIS PORTER: So, what's in a username? Well, at this point, right now I have about twelve hundred followers.
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: I get about five followers a day. And every two hours, somebody mentions me.
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: Now, I don't know if you've ever heard of this site called Klout ...
[the audience cheers]
TRAVIS PORTER: It measures the pervasiveness of your social identity, on a score from one to a hundred. One hundred being best ... So I decided to look at my score, and I am a "fifty nine."
[the audience cheers, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "My Tweet Cred - Klout Score, 59 - Travis Porter is an Explorer. You actively engage in the social web, constantly trying out new ways to interact and network."]
TRAVIS PORTER: Not so bad, given the fact that I don't tweet!
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: Not a great score, until I started comparing with some locals ...
[the audience cheers, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "Kloutparison: Klout Scores of Boise Notables - Scott Nicholson: 63; Me: 59; Alex Gutierrez: 58; Idaho Statesman: 56; KTVB: 56; Boise Weekly: 54; Tim Merrick: 54; Jess Flynn: 51; Jaime Gamblin: 50; Ignite Boise: 47; City of Boise: 46; Gov. Butch Otter: 44; Mayor Bieter: 40; Boise State University: 40; Tom Luna: 40; Boise Public Library: 38"]
TRAVIS PORTER: I am the second most influential tweeter in Boise!
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: So how am I gonna wield this apparent influence?
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: Ask for cash money? Thinking of dropping a mixtape of toddler storytimes ...
[the audience laughs, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "Twitetiquette, Is There Such a Thing? - More than 1200 people are following the wrong Travis Porter. The other Travis Porter probably would like to know that Tiya12 had fun at bj's. But I love my followers." and a sample tweet reading "Tiya12 - @travisporter was great, I Had fun at bj's"]
TRAVIS PORTER: And I love my followers! I often pretend ...
[the audience laughs]
TRAVIS PORTER: That they are truly following me.
[cut to antoher closeup of the screen, with the text "It's Called Social Networking After All - I need some advice. What's my obligation? Do I have one? What Should Travis Do?"]
TRAVIS PORTER: So this is called social networking, after all, so I need your advice. What am I gonna do with my found power? What's my obligation? Do I have one? What should I do?
[the audience cheers, then cut to another closeup of the screen, with the text "#whatshouldtravydo - @travisporter, follow at your own peril (of boredom)"]
TRAVIS PORTER: Speaks for itself! Let me know, I think we'll all be interested! Thank you very much!
[he leaves the stage as the crowd applauds]

---

From rizencreative.com:

Mistaken identity in social media.
Written by rizen creative on May 13th, 2011 - 3:14pm, 0 comments

Imagine this: you're a mild-mannered librarian named Travis Porter in Boise, Idaho. You use Twitter. Suddenly you start, with increasing frequency, receiving tweets meant for an up and coming rap group from Atlanta, also named Travis Porter.

Humor and lessons about social media ensue.

Travis Porter (the former not the latter) covered his personal experience in this Ignite Boise presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment