Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Case Study No. 0981: Sarita Hinojos

So, You Want to Be a Librarian?
5:15
This short digital story takes a personal look at what it means to become a librarian in the 21st century.
Tags: library librarian 21st_century stereotypes libr240 digital_story books
Added: 2 years ago
From: saritahinojos
Views: 5,246

["When deciding to go to library school, I never really stopped to think about what my friends might say." appears on screen]
[cut to a young woman (with blonde hair) speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: So, you wanna be a librarian?
[cut to a young man (wearing a "Star Wars" t-shirt) speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: So you wanna be a librarian?
[cut to another young woman (with short black hair) speaking directly to the camera]
SHIRA: So you wanna be a librarian?
["I worked in a library in college and knew that I wanted to continue working in libraries." appears on screen]
["What I didn't know is that other people's perceptions of libraries don't necessarily match my own." appears on screen]
["When you think of a library, what do you think of?" appears on screen]
[cut back to Mike speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: Books?
[cut back to Marisa speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: Um, I think of quiet
[cut to another young man (with a goatee) speaking directly to the camera]
MIKEY: Uh, I think of a lot of ... boring schoolwork. Uh, a lot of reading, which I don't particularly like. And, um, but I also think of necessity for a community, that brings a lotta people from a lotta different backgrounds together for a pretty similar purpose.
["I am investing all of my time and money into making librarianship my career." appears on screen]
["And yet, even my friends don't seem to have a clear picture of what it means to be a librarian in the 21st Century." appears on screen]
[cut back to Marisa speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: Librarians help you find ... the books that you're looking for. Librarians can make recommendations on authors, subjects. Um, different types of periodicals that you can look at when you're trying to do research.
[cut back to Mikey speaking directly to the camera]
MIKEY: My understanding of what librarians do is that they ... help you find books.
["This is not exactly what I had in mind." appears on screen]
["I love books, but libraries are changing." appears on screen]
["In this digital age, where will I fit in as librarian?" appears on screen]
["And even if I do fit in, do I really want to?" appears on screen]
[cut back to Marisa speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: The stereotypical librarian wears glasses, has her hair up in a bun, usually wears a really high collar, possibly a cardigan over it, some sort of skirt, tights, and high heels. And if she's in a Van Halen video, she probably takes all of that down.
[cut back to Mike speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: They're women. Um, usually pretty conservative looking ...
[cut back to Shira speaking directly to the camera]
SHIRA: Stereotypical librarian, there are two. They're both women.
[she laughs]
SHIRA: One is probably in her sixties or seventies. She has white hair, it's in a bun. She has glasses that kinda go like this.
[she makes little squares around her eyes with her fingers]
SHIRA: They're like cat glasses. She has a plaid skirt on, and it's probably green and ... blue, maybe a little bit of brown.
[she motions towards her neck]
SHIRA: She has a blouse, and it might have like a tassel here or something. And she's very, like, she stands upright.
[she stands up straight]
SHIRA: And then the new librarian is kind of indie, hipster. She might have like a pixie haircut, she really cares about information and knowledge. And she might be, like, kinda sexy!
["And what if once I get my degree, no one will use the library?" appears on screen]
["When is the last time you've been to the library?" appears on screen]
[cut back to Marisa speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: Well, I had to go with my sister to ... or my mom, actually, to drop off a book at my town library last year. So I walked into a library at that point.
[she laughs]
MARISA: Um, but the last time I used a library was in graduate school, so it would've been in Two Thousand And Four ... so about seven years ago.
[cut back to Mike speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: Uh, about a year ago.
[cut back to Shira speaking directly to the camera]
SHIRA: Um, gosh ... probably grad school. So that's two years ago.
["People no longer need to visit the library to find the information they're looking for." appears on screen]
["How do you search for information?" appears on screen]
[cut back to Marisa speaking directly to the camera]
MARISA: Online. The internet. I use Google. I use, for my line of work, I use sources like Lexis Nexis and my own news clipping service ... Um, Wikipedia. Different sites, but almost entirely electronically.
[cut back to Shira speaking directly to the camera]
SHIRA: Sometimes now, I find myself actually going to Google.
[cut back to Mike speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: Usually Google.
[cut back to Mikey speaking directly to the camera]
MIKEY: I almost exclusively use Google.
["What will that mean for the future of the library?" appears on screen]
["What will libraries be like in 10 to 20 years from now?" appears on screen]
[cut back to Mike speaking directly to the camera]
MIKE: On the internet, unfortunately ...
[cut back to Mikey speaking directly to the camera]
MIKEY: I don't see them in the next ten to twenty years. I know where I'm from, Boston, they're trying to shut down ... maybe ten of them, um, to save money. And people are putting up a fight about it, but it's not succeeding that well. So, I feel like that's the start of where libraries are headed.
["The uncertainty of what exactly 21st Century libraries will turn into is somewhat daunting." appears on screen]
["However, I will have th exciting opportunity to help shape libraries and turn visions of the future into a reality." appears on screen]
["I guess the only thing I can do now is not become a stereotype and attempt to change negative perceptions through positive actions." appears on screen]
["I just hope that I will be ready." appears on screen]
[cut back to Mikey speaking directly to the camera]
MIKEY: So you wanna be a librarian?
["By Sarita Hinojos" appears on screen]
["Special Thanks to: Marisa, Mike, Shira, Mikey" appears on screen]

No comments:

Post a Comment