The Grimm Legacy, Polly Shulman - 9780399250965
Elizabeth has a new job at an unusual library-a lending library of objects, not books. In a secret room in the basement lies the Grimm Collection. That's where the librarians lock away powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, Snow White's stepmother's sinister mirror that talks in riddles.
When the magical objects start to disappear, Elizabeth embarks on a dangerous quest to catch the thief before she can be accused of the crime-or captured by the thief.
Learn more at http://bit.ly/ajRyLL
Tags: grimm fairy tales young adult putnam penguin group usa penguin usa penguin adventure fantasy fairy tales
Added: 1 year ago
What if fairy tale magic really existed?
At the New York Circulating Material Repository, every object has its cost ...
GC 645.12.P75 (Flying Carpet) - Deposit: Your Courage
GC 746.12.R86 (Rumpelstiltskin's Magic Spinning Tools) - Deposit: Your Sense of Direction
GC 645.421811185.S66 (Magic Mirror) - Deposit: Your First-Born
Lonely at her new school
Elizabeth takes a job at the repository, hoping to make some new friends.
But when magical objects start to disappear
She finds herself under suspicion.
Can she catch the thief in time to save the Grimm Collection?
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Borrow the magic ... if you dare!
G.P. Putnam's Sons | A Division of Penguin Young Readers Group
"The Grimm Legacy"
By Polly Shulman
Feeling left out from her stepfamily at home and from her classmates at her new school, Elizabeth is delighted when she gets a job at the New York Circulating Material Repository, a library that loans objects of historical value. She's particularly intrigued when she's given access to the Grimm Collection, a secret room that holds magical objects from the Brothers' tales, e.g., seven-league boots, a mermaid's comb, and the sinister mirror from "Snow White." However, when the items start to disappear, she and her fellow pages embark on a dangerous quest to catch the thief, only to find themselves among the suspects.
Shulman, Polly. 2010. THE GRIMM LEGACY. New York: Putnam. ISBN 9780399250965 [Suggested Grade Levels 6-12]
Magic is available for loan in Polly Shulman's enchanting novel set in the New-York Circulating Material Repository. Elizabeth is having a difficult time adjusting to her new high school when her social studies teacher offers her a job at a most unusual library. From the moment she walks in the door, Elizabeth feels that there is something odd about the repository. Her suspicions are confirmed when she earns the trust of the librarians and a key to the Grimm Collection, a room filled with magical relics from famous fairy tales. All is not well at the repository, though. Elizabeth and her fellow pages must uncover the secret behind a giant bird stalking the young employees, a missing page, and stolen objects replaced with non-magical duplicates.
Shulman's novel successfully immerses readers in the magical world of the New-York Circulating Material Repository. The dark stacks, odd behavior of Elizabeth's co-workers, and often-uncontrollable magical objects create a mysterious mood well-matched to the storyline. Elizabeth and her three newfound friends mature in sometimes surprising, but satisfying, ways through the course of the story. Teens looking for new fantasy stories will enjoy Elizabeth's tale.
* Elizabeth Rew: The main character: a student at Fisher High School who gets a job at the New-York Repository to make some new friends after a recommendation from her social studies teacher.
* Marc Merritt: Friend of Elizabeth. A library student aide at the Repository. Star basketball player at Fisher High School.
* Anjali Rao: Friend of Elizabeth. A library student aide at the Repository. Attends Miss Wharton's School. A heart-throb.
* Mr. Stan Mauskopf: Elizabeth's social study teacher at Fisher High School.
* Dr. Lee Rust (aka "Doc"): Librarian at the New York Circulating Material Repository. Friend of Stan Mauskopf.
* Ms. Martha Callender: A librarian at the New York Circulating Material Repository.
* Aaron Rosendorn: Friend of Elizabeth, a library student aide characterized by mistrust, suspicion and disapproval. Has a crush on Anjali. Is a student at World Peace Academy.
* Mona Chen: A library page who disappeared before Elizabeth started working at the Repository.
* Zandra: A library page who had been fired before Elizabeth had started working at the Repository.
* Wallace Stone: An art and antiques dealer. Patron and donor to the Repository. Had recommended Zandra to work there.
* Jaya Rao: Anjeli's 10 yr. old sister. Has magical capabilities imparted to her by Ms. Bender.
* Ms. Abigail Bender: Sewing teacher at Miss Wharton's School. Jaya's teacher. Recommended Anjali to the Repository.
* Gloria Badwin, Esq.: A patron of the Repository. A doll and figurine collection, and a client of Wallace Stone.
* Ms. Minnian: A librarian at the Repository
* Andre Merritt: 3 yr. old brother of Marc Merritt.
* Griffin (aka "The Beast"): Mr. Mauskopf's dog
* Grace Farr: Homeless patron at the Repository
Setting & Locations
* New York, N.Y.
* Main Examination Room ("MER")
* The Grimm Collection: The most special of the Special Collections at the New York Circulating Materials Repository. A secret collection containing powerful magical items from the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm.
* Stack 1 (aka "The Dungeon"): Location of the Special Collections, including the Grimm Collection and the Wells Bequest.
* Stack 2: Location of the Textiles and Garb collections. Also location of the Valuables Room ("V")
* Stack 3: Location of the ephemera collection.
* Stack 5: Location of the Tools and Scientific Instruments Collection
* Stack 6: Librarians' offices
* Stack 7: Location of the art collection.
* Stack 8: Location of the Fungibles Collection (plants and animals)
* Stack 9: Location of the Household Goods collection
* Stack 10: Location of Science and Medicine.
* The Wells Bequest: Collection located next door to the Grimm Collection. Named after H.G. Wells, it contains magical science fiction objects.
* Gibson Crestomathy: The software and computer technology collection. Located in Stack 1.
* Garden of Seasons: Located in Stack 1
* Lovecraft Corpus: Located on Stack 1.
* New York Circulating Materials Repository: Founded in 1745, the oldest subscription library of its kind in the country. Lends objects --musical instruments, sports equipment, cooking tools.
* Benign Designs: A company whose staff frequently borrows materials from the Grimm Collection. Owned by Wallace Stone.