Thursday, January 15, 2015

Case Study No. 1779: Jane the Librarian

THE LIBRARIAN TRAILER 2013 HD
2:38
No description available.
Tags: THE LIBRARIAN TRAILER 2013 HD
Added: 2 years ago
From: CPCDirector62
Views: 17,937

From thefilmcatalogue.com:

The Librarian
English - Romantic Comedy - 90 mins.

Production Company
Classic Pictures, Mano a Mano Productions

Cast
Marcia Gay Harden ... Jane
Oscar Jaenada ... Juan
Jenna Ortega ... Anna
Jackie Torres ... Carmen
Ron Canada ... Nelson
Yvette Thor ... Anne

Director(s)
Juan Feldman

Writer(s)
Juan Feldman

Producer(s)
Christian Calderon, Shannon Campbell, Juan Feldman

Filming Locations
Costa Rica, John C Fremont Library (Los Angeles, CA)

Production Status
Completed

Completion Year
2014

Synopsis
A librarian facing a mid-life crisis travels to Costa Rica.

---

From variety.com:

Marcia Gay Harden will topline indie drama "The Librarian" as a woman who finds a new life path while touring Costa Rica.

"The Librarian," produced by Classic Films in collaboration with Mano a Mano Films, is being directed by Juan Feldman from a script by Joel Silverman.

Harden plays a mild-mannered librarian suffering through a midlife crisis as she takes in the exotic flora and fauna of Costa Rica, where she accidently hires a man who's a lothario and dime-store philosopher for her tour. Pic shoots in July throughout Costa Rica.

"It's a magical place and one that really does have the natural power to help restore a person," Feldman said. "The common greeting there are the words 'pura vida' -- pure life."

---

From screencrush.com:

For a woman with an Oscar on her shelf, Marcia Gay Harden's career has been rather quiet recently. Rather than headline movies, she seems content to take scene-stealing supporting roles in a wide variety of projects, appearing in everything from 'Into the Wild' to 'The Mist.' However, for the first time in awhile, it looks like Harden is ready to step into the spotlight, taking the title role in the indie drama 'The Librarian.'

The debut feature from director Juan Feldman (who previously directed the short film 'Keepsake' and the play 'Accepting the Pale), 'The Librarian' sounds exactly like the kind of indie that'll play to the audience currently making "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" a sleeper hit.

"Middle Aged Woman Goes On A Journey Of Self Discovery In A Foreign Land" is a subgenre unto itself by now, so 'The Librarian' is going to be all about execution. However, Oscar winning actresses like Harden don't attach themselves to films from first timers unless they sense serious potential, so we will have to wait and see. Does this concept have any juice left in it? Does Joel Silverman's script do something special with this seemingly tired concept? Those questions will have to remain rhetorical until after the film is finished.

---

From imdb.com:

Anne: I'm afraid it's as we feared. With the budget cuts, they just can't justify the satellites. Friday will be your last day, I'm sorry.

[...]

Nelson: Remind me to have you around the next time I'm fired.
Jane: I... I'm leaving. For Costa Rica, on Monday.
Nelson: Costa Rica? Jane the Adventurer... Turns desperation into a tropical vacation! Now that's the way to live, girl! You go!

[...]

Juan: They close the library in North America? I can't believe it.
Jane: The economy.

[...]

Juan: I am sure you have read so many books. Did you count how many?
Jane: Uh, I don't know.
Juan: How many do you think?
Jane: I don't know.
Juan: Are my questions bothering you? I like words, y'know?
Jane: No.
Juan: Okay.
Jane: You're fine.
Juan: Okay. How long does it usually take you to read a book?
Jane: I don't know.
Juan: More or less.
Jane: God, it depends on the book, you know? If it's a, it could be a day, it could be two days. If it's a really really rich, like a rich novel with lots of rich language, it could be... I dunno, it could be a week.
Juan: And for how long have you been doing that?
Jane: I've been reading at least a book a week for forty years.
Juan: Oh. Forty years. Even if I give you two weeks off for vacation, then you read... fifty books a year. That would be... two thousand books in forty years! Que may! That could be a record!
Jane: Oh, I guess it does add up.

[...]

Juan: I like words, I'm not too big on the books.
Jane: Well, you could just pick up one and start.
Juan: Yeah, I will, I will. I want to start with the best book ever. Since you have read them all, which is the best one?
Jane: [laughs]
Juan: Why's that funny?
Jane: It's just, that's an impossible question. Because there's so many different kinds, there's fantasy, there's action, there's mystery, there's romance.
Juan: Oh, I see. I see. What's the best love story you read?
Jane: Okay, the best love story I ever read?
Juan: Yeah.
Jane: Probably was Tale of Two Cities.
Juan: Tale of Two Cities? Tale of Two Cities... Who wrote that?
Jane: Charles Dickens.
Juan: Charles Dickens. Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens... Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens. I'll make sure that I read this one day.
Jane: Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment