Monday, November 18, 2013

Case Study No. 1124: Staff of Unnamed Library (Shush it Honey)

Shush It Honey
3:20
This project was designed to highlight some of the stereotypes with librarians.
Tags: Shush It Honey Librarian Stereotypes Call Me Maybe
Added: 1 year ago
From: Samantha Lam
Views: 402

[scene opens with black and white footage of a female librarian (black hair in a bun, glasses on a chain, pink blouse, purple sweater, black skirt) typing on a computer while another female librarian (blonde wig, glasses on a chain, multi-colored sweater, black skirt) stands next to her, as an instrumental version of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" plays in the background]
LIBRARIANS: To heck with stereotypes, spectacles on a long chain.
[cut to color footage of the two librarians (now out of their "stereotypical" costumes and wearing normal shirts and jeans), as they are sitting in the library holding books]
LIBRARIANS: We keep our heads in the books ...
[cut to black and white footage of the "stereotypical" librarians standing in the stacks]
LIBRARIANS: With worried expressions. We don't all wear long dresses, or pull our hair in a bun.
[cut back to the librarians in their normal clothing]
LIBRARIANS: You think you know how it is, to be a librarian.
[cut back to black and white footage of the "stereotypical" librarians in the stacks]
LIBRARIANS: Her glare was holding. Stiff necks, sweaters showing. Stockings, long skirt flowing. Why you gotta talk so loudly?
[they put a finger to their lips]
LIBRARIANS: Hey! I like helping, and you sure need some! So here's our reference, let's check it, honey!
[cut back to the "stereotypical" librarians at the computer]
LIBRARIANS: We're intellectual, smart and clever! So here's your number, I'll help you find it!
[cut back to the librarians in their normal clothing]
LIBRARIANS: Hey, you just met me, and I'm a librarian! But we're all different, so shush it, honey!
[cut to another shot of the librairans in their normal clothing]
LIBRARIANS: Some say we're nerdy, or quiet and lonely! But I say awesome, so check it, honey!
[cut to color footage of the "stereotypical" librarians at the computer]
LIBRARIANS: You have no clue what you need, and then I help with great speed. You gave me keywords to search, and now we're in the stacks.
[cut to black and white footage of the "stereotypical" librarians in the stacks]
LIBRARIANS: I pace the aisles and shelves, Dewey D. tells me it's here. I wasn't sure I would find it, but it's on the shelf.
[they begin dancing and pushing their bookcarts back and forth]
LIBRARIANS: Card overflowing! Stockings, sweaters showing! Bookshelves, pages blowing! Whatcha think you're readin', baby?
[cut to color footage of the "stereotypical" librarians in the stacks]
LIBRARIANS: Hey, whatcha lookin' for?
[cut to black and white footage of the librarians in their normal clothing]
LIBRARIANS: Is it fiction? Check that counter, is it in the system? It's sometimes hard to find the right read ... Hey, whatcha readin'? And is it fiction?
[cut to color footage of the "stereotypical" librarians exiting the elevator while carrying stacks of books]
LIBRARIANS: Hey, you just met, and I'm a librarian! But we're all different, so shush it, honey! Some say we're nerdy, or quiet and lonely! But I saw awesome, so check it, honey!
[cut to color footage of the "stereotypical" librarians pushing bookcarts through the library]
LIBRARIANS: But boy, you came into my library! I knew you wanted some info, needed some knowledge! But boy, you came into my library! I knew you needed some guidance, let me help-help you!
[the scene changes to black and white]
LIBRARIANS: It's hard to look through all these bookshelves, but there's a number ... I'll help you find it!
[cut back to the librarians in their normal clothing]
LIBRARIANS: Hey, you just met, and I'm a librarian! But we're all different, so shush it, honey! Some say we're nerdy, or quiet and lonely! But I saw awesome, so check it, honey!
[cut to the librarians (in their normal clothing) as they carry stacks of books into the elevator]
LIBRARIANS: But boy, you came into my library! I knew you wanted some info, needed some knowledge! But boy, you came into my library! I knew you would need some guidance, so let me help you!
[the door closes, as the scene cuts to black]

Credits

Librarian 1
Samantha

Librarian 2
Leslie

LIS 600
October 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment