Dean and Sam Winchester's image of librarians
no description available
Tags: Supernatural Librarians
Added: 3 years ago
"Supernatural" (Season 6, Episode 17) - "My Heart Will Go On"
Air Date: Friday April 15, 2011
The embodiment of Fate appears to eliminate individuals who exist in the present because Balthazar has altered history and stopped the sinking of the Titanic. However, she soon sets her sights on Dean and Sam, who have avoided their fates once too often.
Atropos, or also known as Fate, was one of the Greek Fates (or Moirai) in charge of the inevitability of death, implementing how mortals and people would die.
Portrayed by: Katie Walder
Atropos looked like a young blonde woman, with blue eyes and glasses. Her hair was long, and well-groomed. She usually wore a suit, a white dress shirt, and dress pants. Sam described her as looking "like a librarian."
Described by Castiel as being cruel, she would not stop doing her job, even if it meant that she had to kill people. She was proud of being one of the Moirae and was very dedicated to her job. She was well-organized and did not like to let details escape her hands. A perfectionist, she left her job well-done and did not leave any unfinished business. She was inflexible when it came to completing her agenda and got angry whenever changes were made.
She could also be described as cold, remorseless and unfeeling when it came to her fated victims, as they should have died or never have been born. However, she did not kill innocent people unless they changed destiny by any unnatural method, such as Sam and Dean Winchester's aversion of the Apocalypse. She also appeared to be creative and practical when setting up a person's death, using their surroundings to kill them.
Prior to the Apocalypse, the sisters followed God's design perfectly, with Atropos stating that God gave them their duty personally. When the Apocalypse approached, the sisters had arranged everything as it was supposed to be for the final battle. Things changed when Castiel, Sam and Dean Winchester averted the Apocalypse and threw everything into chaos. Atropos explained that her sisters were willing to continue as things were and went back to work, but Atropos had always been a perfectionist and went to Heaven expecting instructions. What she found there was the chaos of the Civil War and, with everyone ignoring her, she was forced back to work. This was not to last.
In a desperate gambit, Castiel ordered Balthazar to go back in time to save the Titanic so that he may have more souls to aid him in battle against Raphael. This created a new timeline where nearly 50,000 new souls were created and both Ellen and Jo Harvelle were still alive. For Atropos, this was the last straw. While she had been willing to let alterations to a future event slide, altering a past event was unacceptable. Atropos began hunting down the descendants of the Titanic and killing them in order to clean up the "mess" Castiel and Balthazar had created.
Her actions eventually drew the attention of the brothers, who narrowly avoided being killed by her due to her ability to stop time and set up disasters. Castiel managed to save the brothers and, while lying about his involvement in the events, told the brothers that they are very high on Atropos' hit list since they stopped the Apocalypse and made her obsolete. He told them that once Atropos had a target, she wouldn't stop until that person was dead (so the brothers would have to kill her first). The group set up a trap where Atropos prepared to drop kitchen appliances on the brothers only for Castiel to arrive and confront her. Castiel tried to talk her down but she angrily berated him for "Tempting Fate" by messing with the Titanic and that she was going to fix the mess no matter what. When Castiel told her that he would stop her, she reminded him that her sisters have been compliant but her death would galvanize them into action. While Atropos was quite powerful, her sisters "are bigger in every sense of the word" and would kill Dean and Sam faster than Castiel could blink before finishing Atropos' work. Castiel was forced to compromise with her and restore the original timeline in exchange for sparing Sam and Dean.
Powers and abilities
* Immortality - As a Greek diety, Atropos is immortal, will live forever, and is almost invincible.
* Teleportation - Atropos is able to disappear and reappear in a completely different place in the blink of eye. She is one of the few non-angelic beings to be able to go to and from Heaven at will.
* Time Manipulation - Atropos is able to freeze and control time to move objects that create chain-reaction effects. These chain reactions result in her targets' deaths.
* Foreseeing and chain-reaction effect - Atropos is able to see the immediate future to create chain-reaction effects through the surrounding of her victims, ending in certain death.
* Superhuman Perception - Atropos can see and sense things that are naturally invisible.
* Supreme Knowledge - Being thousands of years old, as well as a goddess, Atropos possesses vast knowledge about the world and its inner-workings.
* Immunity to Timeline Alteration - unlike humans, but like angels, Atropos is both aware and unaffected by the alteration of timelines.
* Fate was one of the few antagonists who is not killed or even defeated at the end of the episode.
* According to Fate, she has two other sisters, presumably Lachesis and Clotho, both of whom are "bigger and stronger in every sense of the word".
* When she finished a job, she left strings of pure gold on the floor.
* In Greek mythology, Atropos was the oldest sister and the most feared of the Fates since she was the one who cut the threads for mortals.
* Despite being a figure from Greek mythology, she seemed to be an agent of Heaven, working in accordance with God's plan and the Apocalypse. The latter fact disproves any possible allegiance to the Pagans, as they wished to stop it.
EXT. STREET - DAY
DEAN You've got to be kidding me. (Dean looks at Russo's remains and the huge blood stain on the street then up at the bus. On the back of the bus is an ad for Russo's law service) Sam, check it out.
DEAN (Pointing at the ad) Too soon?
SAM Yeah, Dean. I'm pretty sure six seconds is too soon. (Sam spots Atropos staring at them from inside a nearby building) Hey. Hey, hey, hey. I think I saw her. Right over there.
DEAN Her? Like fate her?
DEAN What'd she look like?
SAM Kind of like a librarian.
DEAN Your kind of librarian or my kind of librarian?
SAM Well, she was wearing clothes, if that's what you mean.
DEAN All right.
SAM Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait, wait, wait. We can't just walk over there.
DEAN We're not on the hit list. We have nothing to do with the boat. Let's go talk to her.
DEAN Yeah, you know. (Dean briefly pulls out his gun) Talk. Worth a shot, right?