Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Case Study No. 0469: Mewt Randell

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift - Playthrough Part 1: The Beginning (HD)
13:38
Right Here Playthrough Of Of FFTA2
Tags: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift Playthrough Part 1: The Beginning (HD) Walkthrough
Added: 1 year ago
From: NDSMacGaming
Views: 1,320

From wikipedia.org:

"Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2: Grimoire of the Rift" is a tactical role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix for the Nintendo DS handheld game console.

Grimoire of the Rift is the sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance as well as an iteration in the Ivalice Alliance.

Like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, the game takes place in both Ivalice and St. Ivalice. Chronologically, the Ivalice portion of the game is set some time after Final Fantasy XII,[2] while the St. Ivalice portion is set around ten years after Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

There are seven playable races in the game: Humes, Moogles, Viera, Bangaa, and Nu Mou return from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, while Seeq, from Final Fantasy XII, are playable for the first time. The Gria are a new race that has been introduced to the world of Ivalice.

The main character, Luso Clemens, is a boy who is told by his teacher that he will spend the rest of the afternoon helping the school librarian Mr. Randell clean the library for things such as turning up to class late, etc. Luso feels that this is unfair as school ends that afternoon for summer vacation. His teacher tells him that he has to earn his vacation and he has a "lot of earning to do". Luso goes to the library but Mr. Randell is not there; he then finds an old book. The book abruptly becomes blank in the middle. After this, the book commands that the reader should tell/write the person who should fill in this blank. He then writes his own name on the blank page, "Luso Clemens," after which he is transported into the world of Ivalice. After dropping into the middle of a forest right in front of a infamous large Crushatrice called "Klesta", he is told by a warrior named Cid that if he wishes to live he should join his clan. Luso does so, and swears fealty to the clan in front of a judge, after which he is magically given the abilities of a soldier, complete with appropriate clothing.

Luso tells Cid that he probably should be looking for a way home, as his aunt will no doubt be worried about him. Cid agrees to help him find a way home, and Luso agrees to help other people and see the world of Ivalice until he finds a way home. Along his journey he meets Adelle, a thief known as "The Cat" and Hurdy the bard. Together they face off against Khamja, a mysterious organization that specializes in illegal activities and assassinations. They also meet the great mage Lezaford who tells Luso that the book he carries is the key to going back to his world, and that since Luso wrote his name in the book, the book has focused its power upon him. Lezaford then goes on to say that the more Luso experiences and learns, so does the books' power, meaning that if he grows enough, he will be able to go home. While adventuring Luso comes up against Khamja several times, with one of these times being against an enemy who works a magic to bar judges from battle, making it possible to die and be killed. Luso also meets up with the infamous sky pirates Vaan and Penelo at different points as well. The tension between Luso and Khamja escalates when Khamja steals back a silver piece of magicite that Luso had found in the rupie mountains after a fight with Khamja. Luso's clan is then invited to the ruins by quest, only to discover it is Khamja.

There Luso meets Illua, a powerful agent in the Khamja ranks. Luso manages to defeat Illua; however the journal he carries with him glows and Illua recognises it as a grimorie and tries to attack it, only to have the book deflect her attack. The attack however transports the clan to the forbidden land and faces the hand of a powerful demon. After defeating it Lezaford shows the way back to the main land which is found inside Lezaford's cottage. There Lezaford reveals that the book Luso carried around with him is named the Grimorie of the Rift, and it is named so for opening rifts to other places, this is said to be dangerous as powerful things lay dormant on the other sides of the rifts and can destroy the world if they are allowed to come through the rifts. The book also has the power to close the rifts, which would hinder Illua as she seeks the power that is held beyond the rifts. This is what the secret organization targets Luso for, they see him as a threat to both Illua's schemes and their illegal operations including assainations and black market operations.

Luso finally confronts Illua and defeats her for good, however the confrontation allows the barrier between places and a rift opens, allowing the demon from before to come fully through the rift. After he and the clan defeat the monster he finally feels he can go home. Luso bids farewell to Cid, Adelle, Hurdy, and Lezaford before finally returning home. It is then revealed Mr. Randell is Mewt from the first game. This is slightly different from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, in that Luso is not overly concerned with getting home, but rather focuses his attention on the opportunity he has been given. Also unlike the previous installment, the main character travels to the real Ivalice, instead of a creation of his and his friends' desires; this fact is reinforced by the reappearances of familiar characters such as Vaan and Penelo.

---

From wikia.com:

Mewt Randell (Mewt Randall according to the European official website) is a major character from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. In the real world, he is shy and often times gets bullied. He befriended the protagonist Marche Radiuju and Ritz Malheur in the beginning of the story.

"Marche's classmate Mewt is an odd boy who always carries a teddy bear. Shy and a little precocious, Mewt is often picked on by other kids in school. Ever since Mewt's mother became ill and passed away, his father has had trouble at work, and Mewt's shyness has only gotten worse. The teddy bear he always carries with him was a gift from his mother. When Mewt finds an old book at a used bookstore, everything he knows changes... but is it for better or for worse?" -- Online Description

In the Tactics Advance sequel ("Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2: Grimoire of the Rift"), Mewt makes a cameo appearance as Mr. Randell, the librarian in Luso Clemens's school in St. Ivalice. After returning from his adventures in Ivalice, Luso encounters Mr. Randell and tells him about it. Mewt replies that he believes him as he reveals that he had been to that place too, giving Luso the very Grimoire he kept with him for years. He still has his stuffed bear, which can be seen on his desk during the game's prologue.

---

From gamefaqs.com:

Luso - Summer vacation's so close I can taste it. I'm out the door as soon as
the teacher stops talking. Summer homework: keep a journal. That's not too bad.
Better write my name on my notebook before I forget. Don't get me wrong, I'm
not crazy about homework. Just, it could be worse. And I can already guess what
my first entry's going to be: "Summer Vacation, Day 1: Aunt chewed me out.
Grounded for a week."

Maybe this jornal thing's not such a great idea after all. Oh, we got another
assignment, due today: "My Summer Vacation." We're supposed to write our goals
for the summer. Well, here goes...

(I promise not to misbehave in class... Or at least not to get caught, hehe.)
(I promise not to oversleep in the morning... So I'll just sleep in till the
afternoon.)
(I promise not to let the dog eat my homework... Maybe I can find a cat.)

Heh, that all sounds pretty convincing. Summer vacation, here I come!

... Not that I have any idea what I'm doing this summer. But, I guess not
having any expectations isn't all bad. I mean, whatever ends up happening,
it'll be a surprise!

*school bell*

There's the bell.

Teacher - Have a good summer. Class dismissed!

Not you, Luso Clemens! Sorry, but your vacation doesn't start quite yet. Your
friends are going home, but you're going straight to the library, young man.

Luso - Aw, c'mon, Mr. Blair! Why?

Mr. Blair - Think about it.

Luso - Mmmmm... Done. I got nothing.

Mr. Blair - Let's take a trip down memory lane... to this morning! When you
were late to my class for the - how many times is it now?

Luso - That would be... I don't know.

Mr. Blair - Enough times that you've forgotten, apparently! Luso... You're not
a bad student by any means. But, occaisonally, you require a little...
correction, shall we say.

Which is why, I have decided to put you in charge of cleaning up the library.
Maybe a little straightening up there will striaghten you out, too.

Luso - Look, I see what you're trying to do here. But the last day of school?
You gotta be kidding! I mean, it's summer vacation!

Mr. Blair - Vacations are to be earned. And you've got a lot of earning to do,
my boy. Mr. Randell's down in the library. Don't keep him waiting.

Luso - ...

Mr. Blair - And don't even think about loafing off or sneaking out. Not unless
you want me to pay a visit to your house.

Luso - ... Yes, Mr. Blair. Well, see ya! Oh, and I hope you have a really,
really great summer vacation.

*in the library*

Huh? I thought Mr. Randell was supposed to be here.

*looks around library and opens a music box; it plays a familiar themesong*

Check out that book! It looks older than Mr. Blair!

*opens book*

Wonder what it's about? The pictures are pretty cool. Swords... wizards... Huh?
That's funny. The book just stops halfway through. The pages are all blank!
Let's see what the last page with writing on it says... "One is fated to fill
these barren pages. Know you his name?"

"Know you his name"...? What's with all the backwards words? Well, I never pass
up a chance to write in a library book! I'll tell you his name! "His name is...
Luso Clemens!"

*Strange light, book teleports Luso*

*In the middle of a jungle, three figures enter*

Stranger - Oi, oi. What have we here?

*Notices giant bird*

Giant Bird -

Stranger - Why is it always the vicious ones that pay the worst? 250 gil is
barely enough to pay for our time sweeping up the feathers when we're done.

Giant Bird - *

Stranger - What, you hungry? Sorry, but I've got higher aspirations than
becoming chicken feed. Hop to it then!

*ready for battle, strange light appears and Luso appears out of nowhere in
front of Giant Bird*

Luso - M-Mr. Randell!?

Giant Bird - *Bird noise*

Luso - *turns around* Not Mr. Randell!!!

Stranger - You there!

Luso - Ack! Who are you!? You're n-not even human!

Stranger - Calm yourself, stranger. We'll protect you, if you'll let us. Join
our clan now if you care to live. I hardly need to spell out the alternative.

Luso - Join your what!?

Stranger - Our clan. You may be injured, but if you are in our clan, you will
not die.

Luso - Why should I trust you?

Giant Bird - *bird noise*

Luso - Yikes!

Stranger - Because I can guarantee you'll get no such offer from him!

Luso - O-Okay, what do I do?

Stranger - Swear your oath to the Judge. Say you'll join the clan!

*Stranger summons a Judge*

Luso - That's... a judge?

Stranger - Quickly, before the beast has time to act!

Luso - Hey, um, Judge! I swear the oath! Let me in the clan!

*Judge and Luso lights up, Luso is in new clothes and Judge disappears*

Luso - Woah, check it out!

*two little birds enter*

Stranger - Ah, he's brought the little ones along to feed. Stand back,
stranger, we'll handle this lot. Ready yourselves!

Luso - You're going to fight them?

Stranger - Once you stand back as I've told you, yes.

Luso - Hey, let me take a swing at them! I swore my oath. That means I can't
die, right?

Stranger - Harrumph! Spoken like a true greenhorn! No, you will not die, but
get a beak in your eye and you might wish you had.

Luso - Well, I didn't mean I'd go in first or anything. And I'm no fan of
getting beaked... But I won't just stand here while you do all the hard work.
C'mon, let me fight!

Stranger - Hrm... I did not intend to make you fight when I invited you to join
us, however... You promise to do exactly as I say?

Luso - Promise!

Stranger - Then you may fight. I am Cid. And you are?

Luso - Luso.

Cid - Very well, Luso. We begin!

White Mage Viera - If you are to fight with us it is best that I first explain
to you your role. In combat, speed is essential. The swift move first.
The sluggish, never. You will find, while my words may come slow, my feet move
quick. Know this: in battle, we fight not only our foes, but the terrain as
well. Master it, and move well... or your sword will eat only air.

When it comes time to move, move swiftly, but do not rush to strike. Sometimes
holding your ground is the prudent course... and your next action will come all
the sooner. There is another thing you should know. Those of different blood
and different calling move differently as well. Some are swift, some not so.

Black Mage Nu Mou - Allow me to explain "Actions". There are many actions one
might take on the field of battle. Whether it be the simple thrust of a blade,
or an ability learned through one's job. As a black mage, I use black magick. I
will show you one such magick called "fire".

*casts fire on Klesta, the Giant Bird*

Would that I could use magick whenever it pleased me. Alas, all things have a
cost. Magick is no exception. Thankfully, the energies spent in casting are
renewed over time.

Cid - Oh, and Luso - Just so you know, - I'm the one who decides what I do.
Think of me as a "guest" in your midst. I might not take orders, but we're on
the same side. Try not to forget that in the heat of battle!

*group battles Klesta; after it is weakened, it flies away*

Luso - Yeah! That wasn't so bad!

Cid - A job well done. Clan, back to town!

Luso - Um, Cid? Do you think you could, erm...

Cid - Do not worry. I didn't invite you to join our clan just to abandon you in
the wild.

Luso - You mean you'll take me with you? Thanks! I got so caught up in the
fight, I kind of forgot... But now that I think of it, I don't have any idea
where I am.

Cid - And I have questions to ask of you. Beginning with how you managed to
appear from the empty skies.

*Luso's stomach growls*

Luso - Ah... I kind of skipped lunch today...

Cid - Ha ha ha! Very well. First order of business is to go home and eat. Then,
we talk.

*exit*

*Luso and Cid are eating at a table*

Cid - ... So you wrote your name in the old book, there was a flash of light,
and you dropped in on our fight.

Luso - Hey, I was more surprised than you were. Finding myself in the middle of
the woods with that chicken thing and you, Cid... I mean, you're not human! Or
a "hume", was it? Here I thought I was off to clean a library.

Cid - Ah, but you adapated quick... or perhaps it's just that you lack a
healthy sense of danger. I've never seen someone eat so well after battle!

Luso - Hey, what can I say? When you gotta eat, you gotta eat!

Cid - Apparently so. But I've changed the subject. You... came here, to our
world of Ivalice from somewhere not of Ivalice. Through that book of yours.

Luso - Um, yeah, that's about the size of it... So... how do I get back? My
aunt worries if I'm half an hour late home from school. I have to find a way
back.

Cid - I took you in, I'll help you find a way back. Back to your world.

Luso - You will?

Cid - I will, lad. I expected as much when we took you into the clan.

Luso - Well, thanks, Cid! I guess I'll do what I can to help the clan out until
we find a way back. You got to admit, I pulled my weight back there in the
woods, huh? If I'm stuck here for a while, I might as well enjoy it. I wouldn't
mind seeing a bit of this Ivalice place.

Cid - As I said, utterly heedless of danger.

Luso - Heh. I try. So, all the people here are in the clan?

*looks around pub, and approaches group from earlier battle*

Hey, I'm Luso. Thanks for letting me join you... Um, Cid... does this clan have
a name? It must. C'mon, tell me!

Cid - We're Clan Gully. Not that it's a name many know.

Luso - Right, well... I'm Luso Clemens. A, uh, proud member of Clan Gully!
Thanks for taking me. I hope I don't slow you down too much.

*group cheers and welcomes Luso*

So, do clans do much else other than fight monsters? You'll find that most work
falls along those lines... but there are other things. Available jobs, which we
call "quests", are posted at the local pub. There'll be time enough to show you
this later.

Luso - You mean we're done for the day?

Cid - That's right. There's your welcoming party to attend to, after all.

Luso - Huh?

Cid - Barman! Refreshments for all!

*exit*

[...]

*Luso is back in the library; with Luso's main theme playing from the music
box*

*enter Mr. Randell*

Mr. Randell - Sorry, Luso. I found a few more papers to grade, and - Hmm?
What's this? *notices Luso sleeping* Up and at it, Luso! This is a library, not
a dormitory!

Luso - Huh? Mr. Randell? Mr. Randell! I...I just had the most amazing
adventure! I was in another world! I-Ivalice! It was called Ivalice!

Mr. Randell - Another world, you say?

Luso - I did so many things! Fighting monsters, riding airships...! Mr.
Randell...? I'm not making this up!

Mr. Randell - Oh, I know. You see, I've been there too. A world of swords...
and magick. It was a long time ago. You can go home now. Don't worry about
cleaning up today. You wouldn't want to waste your summer vacation in here.

*school bell rings*

Luso - Whoa...I didn't realize how late it was. My aunt's gonna kill me. Um,
guess I'll head home then. *heads out*

Mr. Randell - Luso! This notebook...doesn't it belong to you?

Luso - Hey, my journal!

*Mr. Randell hands over the journal to Luso*

Thanks, Mr. Randell. Um, see you later!

Mr. Randell - Goodbye. Enjoy the summer.

*exit Luso; Mr. Randell closes the music box*

No comments:

Post a Comment